Prior to shifting of the Math complex to the present site in 1979, the institution was functioning on the Market Street, adjoining the Mahaboob College in Secundrabad in a much smaller building from 1973. That building was handed over to the Belur Math in 1974 by a private body called the Ramakrishna Math, Begumpet, which lies to the north of the present Rajiv Gandhi Airport of Hyderabad. That Math at Begumpet was built in 1922 by one Swami Yogeshwaranandaji, a disciple of Sri Ramachandra Datta who was a householder disciple of Sri Ramakrishna. On the demise of that Swamiji, a disciple of his carried on the work till 1932. When he, too, passed away, the conduct of the Math activities was entrusted to a Managing Committee of devotees and admirers who were prominent citizens of the twin cities. It had several successive Presidents and Secretaries.
The Ramakrishna Math at Begumpet and the Ramakrishna -Vivekananda Samiti on the Market Street, Secundrabad, run by another group of devotees, were amalgamated into one institution at the instance of the late Swami Yatiswaranandaji Maharaj, who had visited Hyderabad earlier and stayed in the Begumpet Math. He has left behind a number of disciples in the twin cities. It was, therefore, easy to get one institution affiliated to the Belur Math. For about forty years, the Managing Committee was frequently requesting the Belur Math Trustees to have this institution taken under its protective wings. The years rolled on without success. Every thing bides its own time! So, the time had arrived in 1973 to have this Hyderabad Center affiliated to Belur Math. Certain legal formalities took about a year.
In the meanwhile, the Market Street building was restructured to make it suitable for housing the affiliated Ramakrishna Math with some of its activities, which went on until 1979. By then the Monastic Quarters on the present site was ready to be occupied. It look another two years to complete the construction of all the buildings in the Math complex, except the unit comprising the Book Sales Section, the Math Office, and the Ramakrishna Darshanam on the first floor, which came into existence much later. The present site, with an area of eight acres is quite extensive. It was given to the Math on lease for 99 years by the Government of Andhra Pradesh.