English Language Prospectus and General Information
Prospectus and General Information
The Institute currently offers courses in eight languages. The courses and their duration are as follows:
Languages–Duration of course
Spoken English-3 – 4 sessions
The duration of each session is three months. For Spoken English there are three sessions in an academic year. Students may join the courses only at the start of any session in the following months:
Classes are held thrice a week.
MWF= Monday, Wednesday and Friday
TTS= Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
The timings of the classes are as follows:
Morning batch -7.30 a.m. to 9.30 a.m.
Day Batch – 10.15 a.m. to 12.15 p.m.
Evening Batch – 5.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
To avoid inconvenience students must reach the Institute at least 15 minutes before commencement of classes. Candidates must not take admission if they cannot reach the Institute in time.
To impart this character-building education, an elegant and inspiring booklet “Education for Character” is given to all the students at the time of admission. It contains inspiring sayings of Swami Vivekananda and universal prayers. Prayer is held daily, both in the morning and evening, before the commencement of classes. Students MUST attend the prayer. Students must bring the prayer book when they come to attend the class.
Every student of the Institute is issued an identity card at the time of admission. Students must show the identity card before being permitted to enter the Institute to attend the classes.
- Identity card is not transferable.
- Loss of identity card should be informed immediately to the Director.
- Students are cautioned to take good care of their identity cards.
The Institute gives immense importance to regularity in attending classes. Students must attend at least 32 out of 36 classes to qualify for appearing in the final examinations, promotions and award of certificates.
Students are encouraged to complete the whole course without any break. However, a break of only one session is permitted for examination purposes etc. Students who take a break of more than one session without prior permission of the Director will not be permitted to rejoin the course.
Students must note that admission to continuing students is granted in the following order of priority provided they come for admission on the scheduled date and time of admission: –
- First priority is given to those students who have been promoted to the next level of the course and wish to continue without any break.
- Second priority is given to those students who have been promoted to the next level but who took a break of one session.
- Last priority is given to students who have not been promoted to the next level but wish to repeat the course. Granting of admission to them will depend on the availability of seats.
An Orientation Ceremony is held at the start of every session in order to welcome the newly admitted students and to create a feeling of oneness and identification with the Institute. Senior monks address the students on “Man-making and Character building” educational ideas and ideals of Swami Vivekananda. Lecturers and senior students share their experiences and inspire the newcomers. All the lecturers are introduced to the students. Certificates of Excellence are awarded to outstanding students.
The evaluation system consists of both continuous assessment during the session and a written examination at the end of the session.
The continuous assessment accounts for about 50% of the marks. It consists of seminars (Talk on a topic), class tests, and teacher’s evaluation of student’s participation in the class, home tasks and a viva-voce. Students should compulsorily attend seminars called “Talk on a Topic” as a part of their course to qualify for promotions.
The written examination at the end of the session carries 50% of the marks. After passing the examination, the student can apply for promotion and continue in the next session. The admission schedule will be informed before the end of the session.
The Institute’s Convocation ceremony is held once a year on 12 January, the National Youth Day and birthday of Swami Vivekananda. On this occasion Diploma certificates are awarded to students who have successfully completed the course of study and passed the examinations. Students also present a symposium of languages on this occasion. Those students who wish to take their Diploma certificates before the convocation ceremony must apply in writing to the Director.
A Diploma certificate will be awarded only on successful completion the whole course.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
- The identity card is to be produced on demand.
- Identity card is not transferable. It should not be exchanged.
- We are extremely particular about punctuality. Students are requested to reach the Institute at least 15 minutes before the commencement of classes.
- Latecomers are not permitted to attend the classes after a grace period of 10 minutes. After the grace period the students will not be allowed attend. They may do self-study in the library.
- A bell is rung 10 minutes before the commencement of the class. Students will promptly queue up at the entrance of the Institute with their identity cards and prayer books in hand.
- Prayer book and identity card MUST be shown to the attendant DAILY before entering the Institute. Students without identity cards and prayer books are not allowed to attend classes. They may study in the library.
- The classes begin with a ten-minute prayer. Attending the prayer is compulsory. Strict silence should be maintained in prayer hall and while moving on the Institute premises.
- Students are not permitted to leave the Institute before the end of the class except on health grounds. They should inform the office if they need to leave early. They should leave the Institute within 10 minutes after the end of the classes. They must not loiter on the Math premises either before or after the classes.
- Cell phones must be switched off before entering the Institute. If any student disregards this and is found using cell phone within the Institute, the phone may be confiscated and he or she will face immediate expulsion.
- Boys and girls have to use separate stairs and also sit separately in the class room.
- Students will attend classes only in the section allotted to them. Any change in the section or the batch will require written permission from the Director.
- Active participation and discussions in relation to the subject are encouraged in the classroom. Students must be polite, dignified and respectful in their interaction with the teachers, classmates and staff of the Institute. Rude behaviour or misconduct is not tolerated.
- Students must spend at least two hours daily revising the lessons at home. Any given home work must be completed before attending the next class. They must bring their textbooks to the classes.
- Farewell parties, photography are not permitted in the Institute. Radios, cameras, tape recorders etc. are strictly prohibited within the Institute premises.
- Students are requested to dress in a decent manner befitting the sanctifying atmosphere of the Institute and the Math. Gaudy dresses, T-Shirts with writing on them, jeans for girls etc. are not permitted.
- Boys should treat the girls with due respect. Stern action will be taken against any boy for misbehaving with girls. We will not hesitate to expel him from the Institute.
- Vehicles should be parked in the parking area in an orderly manner.
- To save power please switch off the lights, the fans etc. before leaving the classroom and turn off the water taps properly after use.
- Boys and girls should use separate toilets.
- The Institute has backup generator facility.
- If a student does not feel well during class hours, he/she must be immediately escorted to the Office for necessary care and attention.
- Students are requested to go through the notice board regularly.
- The Institute premises should be kept clean.
- In case of any difficulties or problems, students will individually contact the Director, or the Deputy Director or the Administrative in-charge to redress their problems.
- Students should take care of their belongings. They are advised not to bring valuables to the Institute.
- The Institute reserves the right to cancel the admission of any student if he/she is found to be indisciplined or if his/her admission is found to be taken against the rules of the Institute.
- The above list is not exhaustive and is subject to additions and alterations by the Director without any prior notice.
- We expect our students to take the above guidelines seriously, sincerely and in a positive spirit as it is an opportunity to develop their character and personality through self-discipline and self-effort. However, we do not hesitate to take disciplinary action against students who disregard the basic rules and disturb the atmosphere of the Institute. However, disciplinary action will be taken against the students who disregard the basic rules and disturb the atmosphere of the Institute.